About Area 2
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 (WIOA) requires the establishment of local workforce areas within states based on geographic, industrial, educational, and other regional economic factors. Summit and Medina Counties together form Ohio’s Local Workforce Area 2. Area 2 is governed by the Summit and Medina Workforce Area Council of Governments (SAMWA COG) and represented by the Summit/Medina Workforce Development Board (WDB).
- Adopting of resolutions related to Local Workforce Area-wide finances, budgets, programs, and policies.
- Appointing members of the WDB.
- Providing the structural mechanisms to staff the WDB.
The main roles of WDB members include, but are not limited to:
- Procuring contracts with service providers.
- Directing the investment of WIOA funds to maximize performance outcomes.
- Certifying the OhioMeansJobs one-stop center.
- Developing local and regional plans.
- Conducting workforce research and analysis of regional labor market indices.
- Steering efforts to engage a diverse range of employers in the public workforce system.
- Identifying proven and promising practices to implement within the local workforce area.
If you are a member of the local business community in Summit or Medina County and are interested in serving on the WDB, select “Workforce Development Board” in the Topic drop-down menu on the contact page .